This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our Affiliate Disclosure for more information.
My mom made the best strawberry shortcake! The cake itself is similar to a sweet biscuit, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, especially the top. I have only made this strawberry shortcake recipe with fresh strawberries – even the bland strawberries at the grocery store will do (even in the off season!). The strawberries are macerated, so the strawberries themselves don’t have to be naturally sweet and tasty – though it’s great when they are! I serve this shortcake in a small bowl with shortcake, strawberries, and whole milk, cream, or half & half, depending on how rich you like your dairy. You can add whipped cream as well, but I wouldn’t substitute it fully – the moisture from the milk/cream makes this dish.
Strawberry Shortcake Directions
Wash and slice the strawberries, placing them in a medium bowl as you cut. Once all the strawberries are sliced, add sugar and stir until strawberries are well covered with sugar. Allow to sit on the counter or in the refrigerator and stir periodically until the sugar dissolves and forms a syrup.
Next, prepare the shortcake. Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. Add shortening, dropping into bowl in small globs. Use a fork to break up the shortening and incorporate it into the flour mixture until the shortening pieces are no larger than pea sized. Add milk, and stir to combine. The batter will be pretty wet and sticky. Put the dough into an 8×8 square baking pan. The dough will be tight, so you will need to use your hands to spread it evenly across the pan.
Bake the shortcake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove the shortcake from the oven, and dot the top with pieces of butter, if desired.
To serve, cut the shortcake into 9 servings. Put one serving in a bowl, and top with strawberries. Then, add dairy – whole milk, cream, or half and half – whichever you prefer.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening*
- About 3/4 cup milk
- 3 cups crushed strawberries (I use two pints)
- Slice strawberries and macerate - place in a medium bowl, and cover with sugar. Put strawberries in the fridge, and stir occasionally to distribute and melt the sugar.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and stir to combine.
- Add shortening in small gobs. Use a fork to incorporate shortening into flour mixture until shortening pieces are well distributed and no larger than pea size.
- Add milk - you will probably need a splash or two more than the 3/4 cup, add until dough forms.
- Grease 8X8 square pan with Pam, butter, or coconut oil, etc.
- Put dough in pan, and place small pieces of butter all over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the top is GBD - golden brown delicious.
- Cut shortcake into 9 squares.
- Place a piece of shortcake in a small bowl.
- Top shortcake with macerated strawberries.
- Top with cream, whole milk, or half & half. You can also add whipped cream if you like.
- *Such as Crisco vegetable shortening
I hope you try and enjoy this strawberry shortcake recipe. What do you think of this dessert? It is certainly a pleaser in our house. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!